Is this the product for me?

This forum is used for discussing hardware, software, and technical details of the AVRcam embedded system.

Is this the product for me?

Postby bambino » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:33 am

I am not fimiliar with this type programmer, my experience is with microchip products. However, a project idea that uses a camera for a specialized motion detector and object recognition system is a field I would like to persue.
Is this programming language going to be difficult to find documentation for and can I pick up on it easy enough?
Does the purchase of the assembly with camera come with everthing I need to program with? Or do I need to purchase additional compiliers and hardware?
Does omnivision make an IR camera that can replace the ov6620?

Thanks in advance for your support!
bambino

Postby davedave » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:53 pm

OK, the standard camera can IN THEORY do infrared sensing with serious and permanent modifications, but the resolution in the AVRcam would have to be changed (which it can be) to do recognition of shapes and you'd also need to replace the mega8 with a chip that has more RAM and preferably a faster interface, maybe a shared RAM chip...

Come to think of it, the level of modification would be so enormous that you're probably better off building a new system.
davedave

Postby bambino » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:36 am

Thanks again Dave,

Considering the cost, say I drop the IR requirement and illuminate with a light source, Is everything there that I would need to program the camera to perform motion detection. Or is the programmer available somewhere else.
bambino

Postby johno » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:09 pm

The AVR ISP programmer is also available from the webshop. The cost is $14.95 USD. You can reprogram the AVR mega8 in-circuit with this programmer, as well as any of the other AVRs that can be programmed by an STK200/300 compatible programmer.

The software required to program the mega8 is also included on the CD (uses avrdude, invoked from either the command line or integrated with the editor).
-John O
Site Admin
johno

Return to AVRcam Embedded System