edge detection

This forum is used for discussing hardware, software, and technical details of the AVRcam embedded system.

edge detection

Postby guest » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:59 pm

I need to basically detect an orange ball (a ping-pong ball) from various other objects. At a particular instant only one object would be present, the robot has to decide if that is desired object(orange ball) or not. I thought of using an avr-cam and do simple color detection and thats it!
But the problem is , there are orange objects of other shapes. I would like to know if simple edge detection is possible.It justs need to differentiate between the spherical ball from others. And its not that the robot would be moving very fast so that the image processing has to be done extremely quickly as in the case of soccer robots. But at the same time, the detection is must be reasonably fast.Some one plase let me know soon!

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:17 pm

Hello,
The AVRcam, as shipped, doesn't do edge detection to provide you with information regarding the actual shape of the detected object. It only provides a bounding box. That being said, the system does calculate the color changes of each horizontal line in each frame, and thus knows where each vertical "edge" is on a line-by-line basis. The color information regarding the edge is also available in the software. So, this would require modifications to the existing code base, but that is the beauty of open-source. I would start poking around the FrameMgr.c file, specifically the processLine() function, IIRC. You'll see how the system tries to find connected regions, and builds blobs up. This is what you would modify. Then, when done, you would send out contour info (i.e., if two edges lined up on top of each other on two consectutive lines, you have a vertical line in your image, indicating it isn't a sphere but some sort of rectilinear object) instead of the normal bounding box stuff.

At least...thats what I would do if I had to add this feature :-) YMMV...

Return to AVRcam Embedded System