Creating a Document on the Operation/Theory of Code

This forum is used for discussing hardware, software, and technical details of the AVRcam embedded system.

Creating a Document on the Operation/Theory of Code

Postby Ragooman » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:49 pm

John,

I was wondering if there was any thought on creating a document on the operation/theory of the code for the AVRCam. It would be nice to see something this, simliar to what you see in textbooks on vision processing. This way maybe more of us can get aquainted with this and experiment some more and provide input on what new features to include(sort of like a developer's guide).

If you need any help in this, I'm willing to spend time on this as I think this is a valuable asset to document(with additional diagrams and charts). I would only need to 'pick your brain' , so to speak, to get the necessary info typed into the document.

BTW, what is that part number on the FIFO chip which could be added onboard that the CMUcam happens to use ? There might be an alternative part which might be available in a PLCC package(easier to assemble then).

=Dan
Ragooman

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:42 pm

Yes, I have thought about doing a more in-depth technical review of the theory of operation on the AVRcam. The April 2005 Circuit Cellar had the most detailed description yet, but I suppose that, too, could be expanded. I also attempted to comment the source code as much as possible (mostly because my memory comes and goes at times :-) ), so this should provide some initial insight into those interested in documenting.

So...Yes, I would DEFINITELY be willing to provide any answers that would be asked about the system, and I would also be willing to put time into the documentation effort itself. Shoot me an email off-line and lets see if we can figure out how to proceed.

Oh yeah...the FIFO chip used on the CMUcam2 is one of the Averlogic deep fifo chips. Don't recall which one, but check out:

http://www.averlogic.com

for details of their products.

FIFO from AverLogic.com

Postby Ragooman » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:30 pm

John,

Hey, that's great, I'll contact you offline with what I was thinking about.

BTW, I took a look at averlogic, but I wasn't sure what size FIFO would be needed, they have several versions. I'm not totally familiar with this camera yet, what should be the minimum size for the FIFO in this case ? I could start looking for an alternate device in a PLCC package

=Dan
Ragooman

Return to AVRcam Embedded System