What is the tiny12P IC do on the AVRCam?

This forum is used for discussing hardware, software, and technical details of the AVRcam embedded system.

What is the tiny12P IC do on the AVRCam?

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:59 pm

What is the function of the tiny12P? I assume it has code on it, so where is the open source code. I also am assuming that it uses an internal oscillator because I do not see an external one. I looks like its function is to program the camera using the SCCB interface.

Thanks,
Tim

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:42 pm

You are correct Tim...the Tiny12 is responsible for enabling the camera so that it outputs its 17.7 MHz clock signal on one of its i/o lines. This signal is used to drive the clock input of the mega8. Its a chicken-before-the-egg sort of thing: I needed to enable the external clock with an I2C command, but I couldn't generate an I2C command on the mega8 because I didn't have a clock signal yet. So I threw the Tiny12 in and it worked out just fine. I'm using the internal 1 MHz oscillator to reduce part count.

I can post the code, but I guess I may not technically be able to open-source it as I did with the rest of the AVRcam. The reason here is that it partially based on an app-note that Atmel wrote for bit-banging and I2C interface on an AVR. The source would really be released under whatever rules they have for their app notes (I don't believe the source had anything but a Copyright in it originally...I'll check though).

When I get back to the states, I'll add the source code to the website.

Return to AVRcam Embedded System