A box within a box

This forum is used for discussing hardware, software, and technical details of the AVRcam embedded system.

A box within a box

Postby Harry » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:19 am

I set up a single color object with flat, even lighting and white background so that I could get a clean bounding box. I got what I wanted, however there was also a box inside the bigger one that always touched an edge...a box within a box. My understanding is that this shouldn't happen. I tried the same thing later but wasn't able to duplicate the event.

Any ideas on what is going on here?

Thanks, Harry
Harry

Postby johno » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:59 pm

Hmmm...I think I may have seen this as well before, though I can't be sure. I agree that this is something that SHOULD NOT happen, since the interior bounding box should be swallowed up and part of the exterior bounding box. I assume you're using the AVRcamVIEW PC software to see this, right? I suppose it is possible that the update rate of the PC's screen make it appear as though two objects are "inside" each other, when in reality the system is really flip-flopping between two actual bounding boxes (due to some lighting imperfection).

One way to tell for sure is to tun debugging messages on, and inspect the packets beng sent by the AVRcam to see if it appears as though there are two tracked objects in a single color tracking packet, or if there are two separate packets, one with the exterior bounding box, and one with the interior bounding box.

Let us know what you find out here...
-John O
Site Admin
johno

Postby Harry » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:40 am

Since I posted the original message I've run into this situation again. In the next month or so I hope to play around with the tracking capabilities under different lighting conditions so I'll probably encounter this again.

I suspect a significant point is that the two boxes always shared a common outside wall. Perhaps this special case allows the inside box to slip past your 'box within a box' test.

If I find anything else I'll post it back to this thread.

Thanks, Harry
Harry

Return to AVRcam Embedded System